Friday, April 16, 2010

The Art of Rachel Bess



From her website:

My time is divided between creating paintings and having my hands buried in the ground of my tiny urban farm, coaxing food from the plants and animals. These two careers allow me ample amounts of solace, and lately I have utilized that time to consider the way people live with the flora and fauna that surround them. This body of work is about the continuum of relationships between humans and nature - from a harmonic and mutually beneficial relationship to an adversarial one where we try to shape, dominate and control our natural surroundings. The paintings aren't meant to be literal depictions of this balance (or imbalance) but rather to symbolize and evoke the mood of that amity, discord, control and beauty.





No comments:

Post a Comment