Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Warner Music Group Has It All Wrong

Like many people lately I have come across a lot of music videos on YouTube that have had the audio deleted thanks to The Warner Music Group. Although this has stopped me from listening to some Smith's songs online I have the albums at home so I'm alright. However last night while perusing YouTube for old skateboard video footage I came across a video of Cairo Fosters part in Transworld's "The Reason" in which the audio had been deleted. The video features Built To Spills "Carry The Zero" that was released on Warner Records. Now watching a skate video without audio is a weird thing. Without the sound of the tail slapping the ground or the trucks grinding a ledge or rail the visuals lose something. Speaking of losing something Warner is losing potential customers who could be discovering their bands and others thru these clips. Trust me I have purchased many a record based on a song I heard on a skateboard video. Some examples are The Faint, AIM, Operation Ivy and McRad which are all in my CD case or on my Ipod as we speak. As the major record label system continues to die I can hear the greedy executives hammering their own nails in the coffins with their lack of vision. Oh well, I'm of to listen to Fugazi and watch Ban This.

No comments:

Post a Comment